From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: battery packs [TANKS]
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:18:28 -0500

Heidi/Nick Hoke wrote:
> If I run it off of 6 AA batteries at 1.2v each, that puts it over 7
> volts, would that be a problem for the servo that is rated 4.9-6v?

MAG members have been running Airtronic and Futaba receivers and servos
on 7.2v nicad packs for over 10 years without any failures - except the
rare occassion when people reverse the battery polarity ;-(  The extra
voltage makes the servo more powerful and doesn't bother the receiver.

I've only seen one receiver that didn't like that much voltage, but it
was an ancient off-brand that wasn't well made anyway.  We used nicads
in our warships to save weight and to be able to recharge them in
between battles, but in the tanks, a 6v gell cell is definitely the way
to go because it will last all day and the weight isn't a big factor.

        Frank P.