From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: Rules [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:17:54 -0500

Steve Tyng wrote:

> Frank was of great assistance when the T34 turret was gooped up (he did
> most of the work).  He may have a comment to add.

Morgan, I like to lay a piece of fiberglass "mat" next to the surface to
  build up thickness a little and conform to any bends, then finish it
off with a piece of 9oz cloth.  Don't try to turn any corners with
either the mat or cloth, because it will never lay down like you want.
Instead, make two passes doing the side in one pass, let it cure and
sand it flush to the top/bottom, then do another pass for the
top/bottom.  That gives you a sharp, strong edge without any voids.

Whenever glassing something, remember to use only enough resin to wet
out the mat and roll everything out to remove excess resin.  I try not
to add any resin for the cloth layer by rolling it into the mat layer to
soak up the resin and bond everything together.  Resin doesn't provide
any strength, just weight, so roll, roll, roll for the best results.

Good luck.

        Frank P.