From: Justin <justinv-at-iinet.net.au>
Subject: Re: Hello all [TANKS]
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 00:08:40 +1100

Frank Pittelli wrote:

> Carla and Joe Devine wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to add channels to a tx/rx?
>

> Yes. There are various add-on products that can be used to add 6-12
> auxilary controls to a standard Tx/Rx using various forms of encoding.
> There is also one of our members currently adding some
> micro-processors to a 2 channel tx and rx to create his own
> multi-channel radio.
>
> But, keep in mind that it is usually cheaper to buy a stock 4-6
> channel radio then it is expand a 2 channel radio to that many
> channels.  And you only need 5 channels for a fully operational tank
> with rotate & elevate.  And, if you're running a tank destroyer, you
> only need 4 channels.
>
>> Amp Hour ratings, what do you suggest? I can get 12ah - 24ar
>> batteries, as usual size and cost increase with amp hour rating.
>

> In my local battery shop, you can buy a 12v - 17Ah battery for $40 or
> a 12v - 35Ah battery for $44.  So, needless to say, it's best to go
> with the larger battery.  Also, larger batteries have a better ability
> to suffer bursts of high current draw, but they weigh more and take up
> more space.
>
>> Hull material, will this work? I plan on usein 1/8 luan (that stuff
>> they use on hollow core doors) with a fiber cloth layer on the inside
>> as well as out, same stuff for bulkheads and turret, ect.. And 1/4 or
>> 1/5 for the floor of the hull. Construction is straight forward using
>> a method called tack and tape then draping cloth over the halves
>> first inside then out. When cured trim, fit, and paint. I am sure I
>> can get more info by scanning the archives. But thats it for now.
>

> That building technique works great.  And, you probably won't need to
> glass it inside.  Usually, a good layer of cloth on the outside (I use
> 2 layers of 6oz or a layer of mat and a layer of 6oz) is plenty
> strong. Then, you only have to paint or resin the inside to keep out
> moisture.
>
>     Frank P.

    What really motivated me to build my own rc system is the fact that
surface RC gear in this country is pretty much limited to your 2 -4
channel radios and usually are PPM/PWM units, not like the fancy
aircraft PCM computer radios with up to 9 channels.
If one of your hobbies includes electronics and you have a good set of
tools, then there's a good chance you could convert 2 channel radios
too. Back several years ago while I was at school I converted my 2
channel to an 8 with only 3 extra IC's in the transmitter and one in the
receiver. It didnt work very well but my knowledge and tools have grown
since those days. I don't know about other countries but electronic
components are expensive, and there's very little to choose from. The
best local source I can find for variety is Farnell but I find they are
pretty expensive. Its a dying hobby!