From: Bill Hamilton <seeker-at-phoenyx.net>
Subject: Re: [TANKS] resin treads and wheels
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:39:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 OdysseySlipways-at-aol.com wrote:

> I was just at Smooth-On's main office getting some trial size resins.
>
> I told the lady what I'd like to end up using the resin for (treads and maybe
> wheels and sprockets) and she told me that the resin (Task 4) works well for
> the wheels but some of them prefer to use a hard rubber for the treads rather
> than a resin due to slippage (no biggie there, just cast in some rubber pads
> if i intend to hit the streets). i plan to get further into that conversation
> with her via email (once I get a hold of here again).

I'd ask specifically about the sprockets.  Resin should be fine for road
wheels, but the sprocket teeth will be experiencing a lot of shear stress.
If your resin isn't up to it, you may rip the teeth clean off.

I won't bother with the rest of the "things to watch out for with resin"
list since I recognize you from SCN and elsewhere. :) (I'm "seeker" on
the SCN and SSM forums.)

-Bill Hamilton