From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: New England Bull Session Proposal
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 11:32:15 -0400

William and Melissa Johns wrote:
> At 11:15 AM 4/12/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>> I am considering the possibility of hosting the previously mentioned
>>> New England Bull Session in Late August here in Athens NY (population
>>> 600). I'll have to find a place to run t! he tanks (my yard is about
>>> as big as my living room), chill the beer, etc.
>
> My father is tickled pink over the idea of a paintball tank convention.
> He wants to call in the media and the whole nine yards.  How do you all
> feel about total strangers looking over your tanks?  Probably ought to
> keep them away from the battlefield (assuming this is a battle and not
> just a BS session).
>
> P.S.  Speaking of finding a field, what should I be looking for?

Hey Bill.  We're starting to make plans for the summer.  Have you set a
date for the Athens Invitational?

I think that the convention center sounds like a great place to put the
tanks on display and let the local crowd and media take a look at them.
   That would give your dad some publicity for his new center and let us
show off our stuff as well. If we came up on Friday, we could spend the
evening at the center BS'ing and letting everyone take a close look at
everything.  I'm sure most of the guys wouldn't mind letting kids drive
the tanks around and shoot the guns without paintballs loaded.
Alternatively, we could hold the show on Saturday morning if that works
better for everyone.  Then a couple battles on Saturday and Sunday
morning, getting back on the road Sunday afternoon.  We've got extra
vehicles and artillery, so any battler attending without working gear
can still participate in the fun.

As far as a battle field goes, any open field will do (or a treed area
with light undergrowth --- an old orchard would be perfect).  An area at
least 100 yards square is adequate.  The most important aspect is
ensuring that we can control access to the field.  We don't want people
wandering in while a battle is going on without proper safety gear.

Regarding spectators, if you can find a sports field with bleachers or a
field with a hills around it, that would allow spectators to watch
without the need for them to wear shields.  If not, then we'll have to
provide goggles and keep them in a designated area.  (We have a couple
dozen pairs of goggles, but face shields are preferred.)  In general, I
wouldn't tell the media where the battle is held, because if the crowd
is too large it becomes a big problem.  Having lots of friends and
family isn't too bad, but the local paper can sometimes generate
hundreds of spectators, which becomes a chore.

We're already looking forward to the trip and hopefully lots of other
battlers from the area can attend.

        Frank "Let's Put The Show On The Road" Pittelli