From: William and Melissa Johns <gizmology-at-gizmology.net>
Subject: Re: New England Bull Session Proposal
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 13:19:14 -0400

At 11:32 AM 5/1/2004, you wrote:

>Hey Bill.  We're starting to make plans for the summer.  Have you set a
>date for the Athens Invitational?

   No, haven't set a date yet.  Late August, but nothing more
specific.  Right now, the community center is just a big hole in the ground
with come concrete walls here and there.  I don't want to commit to a date
until the building is finished!  You know how these things always run
behind schedule...

   There is a huge field out behind the Antique Center that just might work
for a battlefield.  http://www.gizmology.net/images/Athens_Battlefield.jpg
is an aerial photograph (infrared, so the grass is red) showing the
location of the existing antique center in black (the photo is older than
the building), the community center under construction in red, and the
parking lot in green.  I hope I have the scale right - I think it is four
feet per pixel.  I'll measure it when I get the chance, but I think the
field is about 400 feet square, between the westernmost edge of the parking
lot and what I suspect is the property line.
   What do you think, Frank?  Or anyone else?  Will the field be isolated
enough?  It wouldn't go over well if the cars in the parking lot got
painted.  Will a 100 foot buffer zone between the battlefield and the
parking lot be enough?  Most cars, by the way, part at the east end of the
parking lot, and the center owns a 24' panel truck we can park in the way.
   In the upper left corner you can see Rte 9 crossing over the NYS
Thruway.  There is a line of trees between the field and the Thruway, so I
don't think that will be a problem.
   The huge field to the right in the image would be awesome - there
appears to be a crick flowing through it! - but it's someone else's.  I'll
see if I can find out who and see how they feel about paintball tanks
romping in their field.
   (If this works out, it's gonna be SO COOL!)

Bill

--

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. 'No' is the answer!"