From: Christopher Clark <cjkkclark-at-comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Artillery Projects [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:26:17 -0600

In case people have trouble opening the zip files, here are the pics one by one
Panther Turret:

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

Bunker Turret:

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

On Jan 1, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Christopher Clark wrote:

Happy New Years to all,

Due to a lack of precise cutting tools and winter weather, I have decided to switch gears a little from my Panther/Jagdpanther conversion tank. In the same vein, though, I have constructed what will ultimately be a panther turret emplacement. The Model '06 was completed (minus the turret housing) shortly before Christmas and firing tests were conducted on secret proving grounds in a midwest city (the park in my parents backyard in Rochester). A combination of stationary (box with a big bullseye) and moving (21st Century/Ultimate Soldier 1:6 Stuart) targets were used and the results were positive overall. Motor and systems and electronics performed adequately, but multiple ball breaks proved the current design produces inconsistent operations. In other words, the marker is laying on the wrong side. Additionally, my length of braided hose is insufficient and I am now in the process of converting to macro line. Also, to increase the space for a larger cylinder (12oz) I w! ill be recutting/enlarging the turret base. Once that is all done I will make a new Panther turret encasement. Many ideas were adapted from the design of the White Knight to produce several hybrids. For instance, the turret rotation system is a friction drive, but the turret actually rests on a turntable. Additionally, with the marker on its side and pivoting on its expansion chamber elevation is used with a servo connected to the gun via 2 wires and a 90 degree bellcrank assembly (this is being redesigned to use a simple pulley, but a sufficiently strong yet flexible "rope" has not yet been found).

Panther Turret.zip

Additionally, a second turret emplacement is in the initial design and testing phases. This system will take on the appearance of a fortified bunker. This project will be a test bed for an original elevation design that involves twin hobby planetary motors fitted with threaded rod and raising/lowering the marker through nuts. The concept successfully completed preliminary trials at a classified time (late last night). The next phase will be to design the inner layout and decide how to traverse the marker, as it only needs to rotate 90 degrees. Right now a simple "X" layout of wires connecting the base to a servo is being explored. While micro switches and servos are currently the inner workings, the ability to switch the entire system over to remote control and connecting the handset directly to the motors and servos is also being considered (the Panther turret will probably remain wireless so that it can be fitted to the tank...whenever that gets completed).

Bunker turret.zip

Enjoy the pics and feel free to offer any suggestions! All of the motors are from the Tamiya hobby kits (2 planetary set to 100:1 reduction and a crank axle gearbox set to 441:1).

Frank, is there a way I can start to get these designated? I don't know if anyone has ever asked what the prerequisites are for getting artillery designated. Also, I have a 30MB video clip of the "trials" mentioned above, how can I send it to you/upload it to the site?

Happy building,
Chris "making progress on something" Clark