From: "" <endurance-at-endurance-rc.com>
Subject: Re: tank combat with video [TANKS]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:27:23 -0700

John,

> Go for it Phil. You're halfway there. After all, if it
> gives you some advantage, everyone else will want it
> to. What tank are you thinking about for your build?

I took a look at some of the tanks on the site and I really dont have access to
the kind of tools it would require to build one of these beasts right now.
(table saw, welder, drillpress, etc.) I built myself a cnc router so I could
possibly build some parts for it but judging by the sizes my little mill
wouldnt  be big enough.

I was just mainly interested in the camera aspect of the whole thing though. In
my mind I figured that it would make this sport more realistic. I pictured all
the tanks having this type of camera system so everyone would have the same
view from inside the tank. I also thought it might make aiming easier...

Joris,

> To aim right is the problem, you will not see where your paint ball is going
> and you will have to guess where to aim. In the time it takes you to figure
> that out, the other tank has moved to your butt and gives your tank a paint
> job.

Just wondering about one thing about aiming. You say that taking the time to aim
will get you painted, how do you normally aim? Also, since you are standing back
and controlling this remotely, arent you just guessing when you aim anyway? Just
wondering, I dont have one myself so I'm trying to get a feel for what its like
to drive/shoot. I thought a camera mounted on top of the turret (maybe looking
down the barrel) might help you aim better.

For the r/c car project im working on I am planning to use a goggle system from
www.3dvisor.com. These goggles have headtracking so it would be possible to aim
with just your head! Like you said it will be bumpy but maybe some vision
processing software exists to help correct this (like a steady cam camera
function).

-Phil