From: "Tim McCarty" <sunk99-at-msn.com>
Subject: Re: Track and suspension [TANKS]
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:51:09 +0000

From:   Rick v100 <rickv100-at-yahoo.com>

>Is the gent from TACOM still on the list? Maybe he can ask those with lots
>of experience in this area for a few references.
Hopefully there are more TACOM'ers now on this list than just me.  Hopefully
I got a few at work  interested in the hobby.   I have got to complete my
1/6 scale model, drive it down the hallway a few times to attract more
attention for members.  Maybe shoot an intern or two?  ;)
Rick - not really sure what your wishing for references?  Relative to an
actually suspension system to a models?  Tiny torsion bars would be
difficult to functionally model I'd think.  I like the ideas I seen posted
on the list to either fabricate or use RC car shocks.  I personnally don't
like to favbricate what I can buy so my plan was to use the car shocks - got
plenty of those from my RC car days - $5 a lap.
Those cars aren't a cheap hobby and I wasn't even into it.

>Will shoot on the move capabilty come next?
Not hard to imagine given the state of todays electronics, cost of same to
include lasers or gyros, and the electronic skills of modelers.  Not sure if
such would detract from gameplay or not.  It'd need experimentation to
really know.  Now auto-targeting and firing - not good.  And before someone
saws it's not possible, we have a guy in my warship hobby who is building
just that.  To darn many engineers like to model and love a challenge.  :)
As long as it's R&D what's it hurt.

Saw a few other things on the list I'd like to comment on.

Motors - I spent quite a few hours researching and evaluating such.  Don't
forget - whatever you buy make sure it can be bought again/replaced.
Result- Santa bought me two 18v Dewalt motors & transmissions which I'll
overvolt to 24.  I'm still wondering if Santa might have saved some coin and
used a 24v setup from a Black & Decker Firestorm.  We'll see how torque'y
and fast the model performs.  10mph is the target.

Outside U.S. Paintball markers - Guys, you don't need the whole marker -
only pieces.  Would it be an issue to internet order the parts and assemble
a "model tank marker?"  Another option - how about using non-CO2 paintball
markers like the electric airsofts?  For the Aussies - I know the Big
Gunners down there got a law passed to allow them to use CO2 powered cannon
aboard model ships .  Ya might want to contact them regarding how that law
might apply to model tanks.

TimMc
TACOM
Warren, MI