Turret rotate is a very basic setup. A 3/4" hollow shaft passes through two bearings that are inlaid into the deck. The top part of the shaft is welded to a simple brace that is bolted to the turret base. A simple 12 volt motor powers the nylon gears. Servo wires for the elevate and gun trigger pass through the shaft. Inside of the black box is a scorpion mini speed control. Works nice and smooth , no binding in either direction.
Motor and gear assembly courtesy of the head engineer at Tri-Pact Industries.
I just love how Those bottle clamps work. Thanks to Bill, Pz 38t. I saw them in his pics, asked him what they were, then found them at Mc Master Carr of course. Perfect fit , and that bottle is not going anywhere on its own. Also visible is the new bracing for the feed tube. There is a lip on the right side and a small screw on the left to keep it in place.
Click Photo For Enlargement (73 Kb)
Click Photo For Enlargement (92 Kb)
Operational. Red button on the right is a fire button to test the system without using the transmitter. Box on the right is the firing circuit for the marker. Thanks again to Frank for assembling the electronics. And the last piece installed today, servo city mount as the elevate. Later I will install a balance system for the gun, but it will suffice for the battle on Saturday.
Well, this would have been battlefield testing last Saturday if not for the freak snowstorm.
Click Photo For Enlargement (119 Kb)
Latest update : Added rubber to the plastic wheels. It gives me the exact wheel size as originally planned. Also, reduces the plastic clacking noise. Much quieter now. Just used 1/4" by 3/4" rubber tiedown straps. Plus a generous helping of a 3M contact adhesive designed for these materials. Plus a few recessed brads , you know, extra engineering overkill never hurts. Performed great at our 2 day event.
Originally I used furniture glides under the turret for stability. They have worked very well these past years, but I noticed in the last battles that the rotation was not as smooth. Look closely and you can see that they have worn down. So, time to do something about this.
Click Photo For Enlargement (250 Kb)
Click Photo For Enlargement (163 Kb)
At first I thought that Santa had brought me a box of coal, it was very heavy. Then I realized that the mayhem I cause on the battlefield must not count because it was a present. Now coal is used in the process to create my present. And used to make the tools needed to install said present.
Four of these holes were made in the deck of the tank . See the next pic for the finished product.
Click Photo For Enlargement (188 Kb)
Click Photo For Enlargement (201 Kb)
Four new beautiful steel ball bearing now allow the turret to glide easily on the deck. Through superior planning or plain luck,two critical dimensions fell neatly into place. First, the height of the ball bearing matched perfectly with the original thickness of the glides. Second, the deck is a composite of glassed plywood backed up by an aluminum plate. The glassed plywood was the same thickness as the flange on the ball bearing. Life truly is good sometimes.
Since the traverse works so silky smooth,the next step is to make the elevate more precise. The previous 2 attempts were just not accurate enough. So, we'll be using a nice high torque motor to raise and lower the marker. The L end of the marker bracket is tapped and the shaft on the motor is flatted. The motor is anchored by using blind nuts on the bottom of the turret.