From: "Chrysanthos Kanellopoulos" <xchrysk-at-otenet.gr>
Subject: fuses+ [TANKS]
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:03:10 +0300

Interesting Murphy's law. My Robbe ESCs say that will shut down durrent if the motors are overheated, don't know if that solves teh problem. It did shut down the power once, when I was testing under teh sun during a heat wave.
Once, in the older tankette, a pebble got stuck  in teh drive wheel, the motor stalled, I kept pushing, and the plastic covers of teh thin (back then) cables just melted (together with teh corresponding switch), exposing all of the brass wiring inside. Nothing happenned to teh cheap Chinese motors. After that I changed all of my wires to thick, 4mm dia. infalmmable, cables. You say tests, trials and errors,  by ignorants ....... I;ve abused them so much I owe shear luck. I prayed so hard on my way back to the shop that day.
  My first RC tank, is all steel, 10 kgr heavy, and runs on two cheap drills, 7.2 Volts.   Once, I saw smoke, and thought the motors burned out. but no!  The motors had gotten so hot that the little plastic and paper tags on them that say the firm and voltage, actually burned ! Not the motors though.
Chrys

. Both occasions could result in high amp draws that will fry the electrics. That's what you use your fuses for, to protect the rest of the system.
A lot of engineers will confirm that Murphy's law dictates that the entire system will protect your fuse however :-)