From: sasquevaneach-at-aim.com
Subject: What motor? [TANKS]
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 10:16:01 -0400

I too am puzzling on the question of motors. I ned to settle on the width of my hull and before I can do that I need to know what has to fit inside.

Looking over the tank descriptions on the website,there seems to be a huge variation. The lightest system seems to be to use cordless drill motors. I can't find out how powerful these are, but looking at the specs for "drill motors" these would seem to be about 21W.

My favourite robot bits website (www.technobots.co.uk/) has motors at 100W, 250W and so on. I looked up "ev warrior" in the hope of finding a power rating and came up with around 1hp which is 750W!

Obviously the more power you have, the more weight there is in the motor itself and its batteries.

I want the smallest/lightest viable system, as the Hetzer isn't very big. Would drill motors at 21 or so Watts be powerful enough?

If someone would like to doa "How-To" on motors that would be very useful.

Phil "puzzling over electrical goods sites" Palmer