From: "Clark Ward Jr" <ki4gyt-at-gmail.com>
Subject: Re: aluminum cutting question [TANKS]
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:18:27 -0400

I don't think that bradleys rate a 3 defense (just my opinion).  A
25mm SLAP round will go straight through it, the LONG way.  I wouldn't
bet the sides against .50cal rounds, either.  Realistically, it rates
a 2...  I don't think even the manufacturer claims the upgraded armor
is equal to 35-69mm of rolled homogenous plate.  Again, just an
opinion, and it'd be able to ignore hits from the front anyhow.  I
sound negative on the Bradley, but I'm not.  They're great looking
vehicles and I'd love to see one in the hobby!  If you can't find pics
of something on it, email me, I have a large library, and live next to
Ft. Stewart.

I had actually thought about building one before I settled on the M60,
so I'm sympathetic.  I had actually thought about firing the
paintballs from the TOW launcher (I was a TOW gunner in the 4th LAV
Bn, USMCR back in the early 90's, so I have a missile bias), although
in scale I agree that it'd be a dandy place for the CO2 bottle if one
was firing from the M242 barrel.
  If you drive the treads from the front, then the rear drop ramp is a
great way to quickly change batteries.

Quick followup question for rules gurus: If one builds a Bradley, you
draw the invulnerable area on the turret in the frontal 90 degree
area.  The front of the TOW launcher is NOT in this area, but it makes
sense that it should not count for hits.  What's the rules decision?
(This also applies for arguments' sake to the IR spotlight mounted to
the side of the gun on the M60A2, and the crane parts mounted on the
turret of the M728.  Most tanks have the spotlights mounted directly
over the gun, so they're covered by the frontal 90 degree rule)

--
Clark "I never met a thread I couldn't post OT on" W.
M60A1 "the Beast" under construction