From: Rick Dulas <rick.dulas-at-oracle.com>
Subject: Re: aluminum cutting question [TANKS]
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:10:25 -0500

Title:
I suppose that, like most things, it depends on how badly you need to cut the plate. If I needed the saw kerf to be relatively straight, I'd look for a machine shop with a metal-cutting bandsaw. If I had lots of surplus saber saws and blades sitting around, I might try it. But you will probably spend as much in burned up blades as it would cost for the machine shop to cut it. Not to mention the wear and tear on the saber saw and the body holding it.

On the other hand, this sounds like a good excuse to buy a Sawz-All. You can get metal cutting blades for the Sawz-All, and I have not yet run into anything that the Sawz-All can't handle. I have even used it to cut a 3/4" thick 4'x8' rubber mat into 2 2'x8' pieces for the shop floor. Now that was nasty! If you decide to go ahead with the saber saw, consider using water cooling on the cut. Set the workpiece up outside and clamp it down well. Rig up a sheet of something water-proof to the base of the saw with a small slit where the blade penetrates. Turn on the garden hose to a dribble and duct tape it to the saber saw base. Adjust it so it dribbles on the cut. Something like this:

Doug Conn wrote:

Can I cut ½” thick aluminum plate with a saber saw (aka jigsaw) ? Or, is that asking too much of the saw ?

            Thanks,

            Doug

--
sigfile html

Oracle
Rick Dulas, Ph.D. | Senior Service Delivery Engineer | 979.846.7713
Solution Support Delivery - Service Delivery Engineering SSC
707 Inwood | Bryan, TX 77802