From: sasquevaneach-at-aim.com
Subject: Re: Phils tank and musings on infantry [TANKS]
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:53:33 -0400

I've now just bought bolts for axles (B&Q couldn't find the price so charged me 17p each!) and various bits of metal and wood for the suspension. Might get some cutting done tonight & then I'll do some photos.

I'm interested to see your photos. Frankly wooden figures are likely to be more robust than actin Man even if stationary.

One of these days I'll write up my infantry-making experiences. You can build a walking 12" figure, I should think, but it won't go faster than perhaps 1mph or operate on anything rougher than carpet. You can build one with wheels, which gives you a lot more latitude as it won't have to carry its own weight, but building that with some sort of weapon system on board, plus some sort of remote control, plus building something that is sturdy enough to cope with 1/6th tanks (see the "Marlowville" thread) is pretty near impossible.

I have considered using clockwork or rubber-band power, as per model aircraft (good power to weight ratio) which would give you a figure which could move under its own power. My latest idea is to make a padded figure with a weight at the bottom which can be thrown by means of a strap attached to its back. This "flingbot" would have a paintball in its base so you could attack a tank by throwing to hit it. Probably not very effective, though there's a chance your opponent will die laughing....

Phil