From: anvilus9-at-comcast.net
Subject: Re: New builder-to-be [TANKS]
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 11:20:39 +0000

From: "Clark Ward Jr" <ki4gyt-at-gmail.com>
> My main pondering question tonite is:  Would a couple of 18v cordless drill
> motors get a tank around well enough?  Or do I need to spend a bunch more
> money than that?

I use 24V Makita drill motors in Hetzer #T010 and they
work great.

I just mounted two DeWalt DW960 right-angle drill
motors directly to the hull walls in my new Bren Gun
Carrier.  They may not have enough torque for a
large tank unless you use a 3:4 speed reduction.
http://www.rctankcombat.com/archive/2007-04/msg00205.html

Two main issues with drill motors.

1)  DO NOT buy cheap drill motors.  Most provide very low
torque.  I only recommend DeWalts or Makitas.

2)  Only buy drill motors with two or three speeds and
use the lowest speed.

--
Joe Sommer, Anvilus Machine Works
2378 Nantucket Circle, State College, PA 16803

> Thanks!
>
> Clark in Georgia

  I'm still scoping out tanks and deciding what would be fun to build/battle.  I live in southeast Georgia, with enough land to have a decent battle on :)  I had considered switching from boats to tanks a while back, but up until now, I didn't have a house large enough to accomodate it.  The new house has a 20x20 heated and A/C'd shop, so the wife can't give me grief over a 3 foot long tank taking up space :)  I've built scratchbuilt a few combat RC warships, so I'm okay with woodwork, CO2 plumbing, and electrical systems.  I have a 6-ch radio for a tank, and a 2-ch for a future support vehicle.