From: "Steve Tyng" <SteveT44-at-comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Tanks [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 20:05:16 -0400

Jose wrote:

I am hoping to figure out the whole curved hull thing as well as a true damped torsion bar suspension, I know that sounds expensive but my aim is to build under 500.00 bucks do any of you think this is unreasonable?

Depends how much of the right junk you already have laying around and how good of a scrounger you are.  To give you some perspective, I have over $1,500 into the Cromwell and I had material left over from my first tank that I was able to recycle (though not much).  But the Cromwell is fully tricked out and I spared no expense as far as electronics and materials was concerned.  Look for bargains on eBay for radios, guns, and motors.  Also, the TTS track system is the cheapest (but most labor intensive).  Go with a simple on-off controller for main drive and turret rotate and a $500 tank should be feasible.  My first tank (T005) was a basic tank and it probably was closer to $500 than $1,500.

The suspension on the Cromwell added some expense but mostly time and effort in building it.

All things considered this hobby is cheaper than most R/C modeling.  I know a guy who has close to $6,000 into an R/C copter that still hasn't flown yet.

Steve Tyng