From: <mxlyons-at-cox.net>
Subject: Re: hot switches [TANKS]
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:16:13 -0500

I finally found Chrys' image and now I see what Frank was talking about.

The "half-moon" cam shown in
http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/speed-control/05MAGSideMounted.jpg  is used to
allow a servo to select forward, off or reverse using two SPDT microswitches with
roller arms.  The cam is plastic, but could be wood (as shown in several tanks on
the site) or any other material as it is just mechanical.

Switching high currents is a non-trivial problem, as Chrys has apparently
discovered.  Microswitches are typically rated for just a few amps, so a solution is
to use a microswitch to provide the current to a relay coil, and the relay contacts
switch the high current to drive the load.

I'm putting together some info on switching components and arrangements, and hope to
post it within a few days.

Regards,
  Mike Lyons