From: anvilus9-at-comcast.net
Subject: Re: motors [TANKS]
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:02:48 +0000

Derek and fellow tankers,

From: "Derek Engelhaupt" <tankme-at-gmail.com>
> I did find some that are similar
> to the ones Steve was selling.  The are on Ebay:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
> &viewitem=&item=330060009617&rd=1&rd=1.
> These are 250W so I'm not quite sure if they have enough power or not.  I
> emailed the seller and the motors don't have a base that they mount to, they
> have holes in the face to facemount them.
> Yet another alternative would be
> these motors, but I have ruled them out on this tank because of their large
> size:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
> &viewitem=&item=330060009572&rd=1&rd=1.
> Those are rated for 36V-at-750W and at 24V they would end up putting out about
> 500W according to my calculations.  There is yet another alternative, but
> I'm not sure if I can let the cat out of the bag on that matter.

This is the other alternative to which Derek alluded.

Unite Motors no longer makes the 24V 350W motor with gear reducer
and mounting feet (MY1016Z3-350W) that Steve Tyng formerly sold.  They
do make an identical 24V 300W motor with gear reducer and mounting
feet (MY1016Z3-300W).  However Unite will only sell these motors directly
to individuals at minimum QTY=24 or to distributors at minimum QTY=6.

After discussing this issue with Steve last fall, he informed me that he no longer
wanted to import motors from Unite.  In November, I contacted TNC Scooter to
order QTY=6  of the 300W motors but they reneged on their promise.  In December,
they told me that they could not order them until late spring.

Consequently, I ordered QTY=24 of the 24V 300W motors directly from Unite
and had them shipped by UPS with delivery scheduled for Tuesday 1/23.  Eight
of them are already promised to buyers.  The remaining 16 will be available for sale.

Specs for MY1016Z3-300W motors
http://unitemotor.com/unite/en/Products.asp?ClassID=0582416161057771
24V 300W
9.779 reducer
388 rpm no load
6.1 lbm

I investigated both motors that Derek discussed above before I chose
the MY1016Z3-300W motors.  These were my opinions.

Specs for MY1018-250W motors
http://unitemotor.com/unite/en/Products.asp?ClassID=0551109203696836
24V 250W
7.182 reducer
466 rpm no load
4.8 lbm

Lower power (250W versus 300W) and lower speed reduction
(7.2 versus 9.8) means significantly lower torque.  I do not
believe that these motors will have sufficient torque for full-skid
turns in our tanks.  Also face mounting was much more difficult
in my designs than base mounting for the 300W motors.

Unite no longer makes the 36V 750W motor sold by TNC Scooter
on eBay.  They do make a similar motor in 350W, 450W and 600W
sizes.

Specs for MY1020Z3-350-600W motors
http://unitemotor.com/unite/en/Products.asp?ClassID=055110929001904
36V 600W
6.67 reducer
524 rpm no load at 36V (350 rpm expected at 24V)
12.1 lbm

Derek's idea to operate this larger motor at 24V has merit but it is
far too big (8.8 inches long) and heavy (12.1 lb) for my designs.

Please send a private Email off the list if you are interested in
the MY1016Z3-300W motors.

Joe

--
Joe Sommer, Anvilus Machine Works
2378 Nantucket Circle, State College, PA 16803