From: "Gene Burbeck" <gburb-at-advantagecs.com>
Subject: RE: Gene is building a tank! [TANKS]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:53:14 -0500

Good idea, I was thinking about that, too. That would be the most
effective way to do the tracking IMHO. It would probably be nessesary to
modulate the infrared light source, like a TV remote (I think the
frequency is 40kHz or so). Only here we would flash the LEDs at a lower
frequency so in can be handled by the frame rate of the camera. The sun
is a huge source of infrared light, so the modulation would allow the
camera to tell the difference between the sunlight and the infrared
"bullseye" on the other tank. An easier way to do the same thing could
be to put the LEDs on MY TANK, and put retroreflectors on the other
tank. A further improvement to make the system even more selective of
the retroflective bullseyes on the other tank could be to use polarizing
filters at right angles to each other on the LED spotlight and on the
camera. The polarized light from the LED illuminator gets turned 90
degrees by the cube corners in the reflectors and passes through the
filter on the camera lens. I've done this polarizing trick on a robot
(not a fighting robot) to allow it to navigate while remaining in sight
of three reflective "towers".

Hope this wasn't too technical, don't hesitate to ask questions or make
suggestions. Would people be open to putting reflectors on their tanks
at least for demos (not nessesarily actual battles)?

Geme