From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: C6C??? [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:47:10 -0500

Robert Bottomley wrote:
> One other question, what about frequencies?
> If two people have the same pad will they interfere with one another?

Each of the wireless gamepad vendors allow up to a certain number of
gamepads (usually at least 16) to be used at the same time without
interference.  So, when using the same brand, there will be no problems
until more than 16 are being used.

Interference between two brands is handled by the 2.4Ghz standard, which
requires "all" devices to handle conflicts somehow.  That is, in order
to get an FCC license to operate in the 2.4Ghz range, the radio
manufacturer has to make sure they can handle interference from other
devices.  Unfortunately, there are no specifics on how every vendor
handles this stuff, but given the large number of devices playing in
that space, you can be sure they're doing something.

We'll have to have more battlefield experience before we know where the
real crush point is.  And, I think by the time we have the problem of
too many people on the battlefield using C6C's (that's a "good" problem
to have), we'll have a more advanced tank controller that uses it's own
2.4Ghz radio parts with unique identification of all tanks on the field
(which is one of the benefits of moving to the 2.4Ghz radio solution).

For now, just don't have more than 16 tanks using the same wireless
gamepad brand in your backyard at the same time :-)

> I have seen the Pelican advertised for $17.95, a heck of a lot cheaper than
> a standard 6 channel RC radio set.

Now you've figured out the madness between Cheap Control Systems!!!  The
cost of the kit, gamepad and some old servos is less than 1/2 the cost
of a 6 channel RC radio (assuming you can find one on a ground freq).
Granted, the range is much lower, but nobody really operates their tank
from that far away anyway.  And, I can assure you from actual
battlefield usage, the gamepad is *sooooooooo* much nicer to use ...
smaller, more robust and easier to control.  (Ask Mr. Tyng how well the
Tiger was shooting at the Cromwell in the last battle.)  My *lack* of
transmitter skills is legendary in R/C warship and tank combat, but the
gamepad has started to erase those bad memories :-)

But, this is just the starting point.  Our next plan is to combine the
gamepad approach with an all digital controller (no servos) that
provides steering, speed control, turret rotate, elevate and firing.
Slice the cost of the radio system in half, then slice the price of the
controllers by 1/2 to 2/3.  The total savings should be enough to pay
for motors, batteries and a used marker!!!  And, if we do it right,
everything can still be repaired by the user if something breaks with
just a soldering iron.  Inexpensive, good-enough and maintenance friendly.

        Frank P.