From: Joe Sommer <anvilus9-at-adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Motors of possible interest. [TANKS]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 01:15:06 -0400

I received the large 24V motors from American Science and Surplus.
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=12605&cartLogFrom=Search

The bell housings are massive and carry a bearing
so they cannot be removed.  You will need to cut the
housing down with a hack saw or band saw.

The motors are also VERY heavy and VERY long.  I do not believe
that you even fit them into a 1/6 Tiger II hull.  Plus the large 7/8 inch
DIA shaft will require a very large pinion.

Lastly, they have an audible speed bias i.e. significantly faster CW
than CCW.

I will bring them to the coming battle for others to see.  I will try to
run some torque and speed tests next week.

My initial impression is that they are not suitable for our size tanks.
They may be more suitable for robot combat.

I still recommend Tyng M1 motors because they do not need any
speed reduction.

Joe

At 12:52 PM 10/16/2006 +0930,"chris barthelson" <barthelson88-at-hotmail.com>
wrote:
>A lot of the time surplus center show the actual shipping weight, ie with
>packaging and stuff. Plus once you remove the 8" aluminium slab it will
>take a pound or two off. I would say worth getting.

I ordered two and will test them.

Joe

Joe Sommer, Anvilus Machine Works
2378 Nantucket Circle, State College, PA 16803
814.234.4773     anvilus9-at-adelphia.net
http://www.anvilus.com