From: "Steve Tyng" <STyng-at-ACPTrust.com>
Subject: RE: tank combat with video [TANKS]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:29:51 -0400

Phil wrote:

> I was just mainly interested in the camera aspect of the
> whole thing though. In my mind I figured that it would make
> this sport more realistic. I pictured all the tanks having
> this type of camera system so everyone would have the same
> view from inside the tank. I also thought it might make
> aiming easier...

This sport was never meant to be realistic.  Fun and low cost of entry
is the objective.  I'm not saying that sitting on the sidelines with
video goggles on wouldn't be fun but they have networked computer games
that do essentially the same thing for far cheaper than a real ROV
battle would be.

> Just wondering about one thing about aiming. You say that
> taking the time to aim will get you painted, how do you
> normally aim? Also, since you are standing back and
> controlling this remotely, aren't you just guessing when you
> aim anyway? Just wondering, I don't have one myself so I'm
> trying to get a feel for what its like to drive/shoot. I
> thought a camera mounted on top of the turret (maybe looking
> down the barrel) might help you aim better.

Aiming is a matter of ranging shots and experience.  As you learn your
tank, aiming and firing becomes an almost instinctive thing.  When you
get good enough you'll be able to take out a speeding Wacker T34 on the
move from 10'  ;-)

There are to types of battlers, and thus, aiming styles in the game.
You have the long range snipers and my preferred method, run in at full
speed and show no mercy.  Sniping requires a fine touch on the stick and
an eye on windage and trajectory.  Show no mercy emphasizes speed and
maneuverability requiring an intimate knowledge on how your tank,
turret, and elevate movements are orchestrated into one fluid ballet of
destruction!

FYI, Joe Sommer and myself played around with video cameras the first
year.  We learned that the cameras were not fast enough to capture the
paintball going down range.  They also did not have the resolution to
shows hits at anything over 10 or 15'.  At longer ranges trajectory
needed to be factored in so mounting cameras on the barrel is an issue.
Additionally, we found the wireless options we could comfortably afford
were not robust enough to work in the rough and tumble world of R/C Tank
Combat.

Steve "Pirouette" Tyng