From: JOHN PITTELLI <jplily-at-yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: tank combat with video [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:16:13 -0700 (PDT)

,

> I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My
> name is Phil and I’m from
> Kansas City, MO. >
>
>. From looking around the
> pictures on the site it seems that no one has
> decided to incorporate video
> cameras into the tanks. If anyone has tried this, if
> so, how did it work out?

Phil, Check out some of my video in the archive. I
mounted a cam on top of my turret , just to record
battle footage.

> It seems to me that a turret mounted camera would
> help in aiming and also add
> to the realism of combat by allowing you to hide
> under brush at stalk your
> victims.

For the most part our battles are in fairly open
ground.

It also seems like it would be hard to keep
> your opponent from knowing
> your location since he/she can just look to see
> where you are looking and then
> head in that direction.

Yeah, that always happens. LOL.

> I am interested in knowing what everyone’s thoughts
> on this subject are since I
> don’t have a tank myself. I am interested in this
> subject because I am in the
> process of creating an r/c car which you can drive
> via a PC steering wheel and
> pedal system. A pan/tilt camera mount will also be
> integrated into a video
> goggles system that will also provide head tracking
> to move the camera. So far
> I have the steering wheel and pedals working. My
> next step is the goggles.

Go for it Phil. You're halfway there. After all, if it
gives you some advantage, everyone else will want it
to. What tank are you thinking about for your build?

John " Pz IV and Comet builder" Pittelli