From: "Dave McGrath" <blackj2ck-at-hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Sherman on the way [TANKS]
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 02:16:46 +0000

Actually with the foam on the turret i am using polyester resin, alot
cheaper then epoxy. What i do is coat the foam with minwax polycrilic. The
polycrilic doesn't eat the foam but it gives a layer that the resin can't
eat through. I got this from one of the rc plane sites. So far it has
worked. I was going to use acetone to eat the foam out. I think i may expand
and use more fibreglass on the next project tank aswell.

Aluminum castings has been a great side hobbie for a few years now, i built
a fournace and started casting parts and pieces for diffrent things. Now i
don't know what i would do with out being able to cast things, once you
start thinking of doing things a certain way it takes time to go back to
other methods. I made my fournace for about 100 dollars and its saved me
alot as far as making things goes, i am almost complete building my metal
lathe, comes from the Dave Gingery book sets. Although i built my fournace a
diffrent way then what he has i kinda used his book as an insperation. After
cutting the pieces from foam i attach sprue points that are basically a
paper towel tube and some foam. One of the biggest mistakes with the lost
foam casting idea is that most guys don't provide enough sprue height, as
the aluminum is almost like water when it is liquid you need enough
hydrostatic pressure ontop of the form to get all the aluminum in. I have
used wall plaster thin down to get better finishs but i don't have the want
to do that anymore, this path causes alot of headaches as the gases from the
foam try to escape, when the plaster is all around the foam it can only
escape out the sprue hole. I just put mine in sand and pour away, seems to
work fine, little clean up and parts are ready to go. I can post how i made
my fournace if your interested. Maybe i should attach a page to my web space
for the casting stuff.

Dave.

http://www3.telus.net/davesdungeon/