From: "Steve Tyng" <STyng-at-ACPTrust.com>
Subject: RE: Car Starters [TANKS]
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:58:45 -0500

Kevin wrote:

I’ve heard/read somewhere that the average automotive starter requires 30 or 40 amps just to get it moving.

Maybe that's the amp draw to get the car engine turning over.  It also may include the amps used by the solenoid which would be removed in a conversion.

>  At this point I’m wondering if the 900 watt rating means that even if they work, I’ll be drawing so much power that my batteries will only last 5 minutes.

The EVW's in my Cromwell are rated at 950 watts (they are wired for 24v).  I easily get an hours battle time from two 18AH batteries wired in series.

Steve Tyng