From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: cheap six channel (C6C) radio [TANKS]
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:09:23 -0500

chris barthelson wrote:
> If you think about it though your never over 50 feet away from your tank
> anyway. I usually follow mine at about 10-15 feet too much further then
> that and you might run into stuff you can't see (going around stuff)
> I think 50 feet is plenty.
> Joe, is that 50 feet with a 2.4 transmitter? Also can it be set up as a
> standard controller, 14 ch?

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry about the C6C prototype product that is being
developed as joint-venture between Anvilus Industries and Tri-Pact
Worldwide Enterprises, Inc. as part of our "Battle-Ready Control
Systems" initiative.

To answer your question, the current C6C prototype uses wireless or
wired PS2 gamepads to control a vehicle, providing up to 6 servo
channels of control.  In the default configuration, the left and right
joysticks are interpretted as proportional channels.  The left and right
buttons on top are used to control the center of each joystick.  In
normal operation this allows the left joystick to be used for throttle
and steering, and the right buttons to be used to proportional elevate
and non-proportional (on-off) rotate.  The front buttons are used for
channels 5 and 6, providing on-off fire control.

The C6C is a drop-in replacement for a standard receiver, with
connections for up to 6 servos.  Simply plug your existing servo wires
into the C6C, plug in the gamepad wire or wireless receiver and you are
ready to go.  The C6C has a built-in voltage regulator, allowing it to
be powered from any 6-12v battery.

The range of the C6C depends on the gamepad being used.  If a wired
gamepad is used, the length of the wire is the range. This solution is
perfect for fixed artillery, mobile artillery and inexpensive supply
vehicles (the Goer was first operated in battle with a wired
controller). If a wireless gamepad is used, tests with 3 different
gamepads indicate a range of 50-90 feet is achievable with proper
antenna placement on the vehicle.

Commercial gamepads use either 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz, both of which are
supported by the C6C.  Channel conflict is handled automatically by the
gamepad using different approaches, providing anywhere from 16 to 65,000
different channels.  Anvilus engineers are working on a different
wireless solution using 2.4GHz radio components to increase the range to
500+ ft and provide sufficient channels for hundreds of users.  However,
at this time, even with a 50-90 foot range, the C6C is considered a
viable solution and it will be deployed this battling season on the
Navarone Gun, the Goer and the venerable Tiger-1.

The cost of the C6C has not been set, but we expect it to be in the $50
range, not including the gamepad.  Wired gamepads can be purchased from
a range of vendors starting at less than $10, with wireless gamepads
starting at less than $20.  All totaled, that's still less than 1/2 the
price of a standard 6 channel radio, while providing a more comfortable
and robust handheld controller.

The C6C is just a prototype product to prove the concept (although it
will definitely be useful as currently designed).  Anvilus and Tri-Pact
are working towards a totally integrated combat control system that
includes the hand-held controller and on-board controller, with
proportional speed control, mixed steering, servo-based elevate, PWM
rotate and fire-control.  The final version will also include telemetry
feedback to the gamepad/LCD for key operational systems like main
battery voltage, shot counter and onboard temperature.  A video feedback
channel may also be added down the road, using existing commercial video
components integrated with the final radio solution (but this is well
down the product roadmap).

Photos of the C6C in operation will be posted after this weekend's Tank
Expo in Annapolis.

        Frank Pittelli
        Director of Sales and Marketing
        Battle-Ready Control Systems