From: Derek Engelhaupt <derekengelhaupt-at-rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Can't stop reading. [TANKS]
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 07:47:04 -0800 (PST)

Well, you would need a ground frequency to comply with FCC regulations.  All of the ground freqs are either 40MHz, 27Mhz, or 75Mhz.  There is however new radios that run in the unregulated 2.4Ghz space (like your cordless telephones).  From what others have said on some of the other tank forums, they are less prone to glitching and interference.  Plus there is no changing of crystals since they use a spread spectrum technology that finds an open channel then starts transmitting.  They are at http://www.spektrumrc.com/ , but the 6 channel will run you about $199.  If you are looking for a decent cheaper 6 channel, Hitec makes one:  http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCJG9**&P=7

You may even be able to find in on Ebay cheaper, but $134 for a new surface 6 channel is pretty good already.  I'm suggesting you don't try and have that thing converted to ground just due to the fact that some radios cannot be converted to ground use and the cost to convert it added with the purchase price would probably put you in the Hitec range after shipping and such (to the manufacturer for conversion).

By the way while on the subject of radios, is there a master list of what freqs are in use and what channels?  My Futaba 9CAP is a ground freq, but since it is dicontinued the ground modules for the TX are really hard and expensive to come by.  Would hate to show up for a battle and be on the same channel as someone else and me not be able to switch freqs.

Derek

toast <toast-at-shadowsofchange.com> wrote:
I found a link to this site from a paintball forum and I canít stop reading.  Iíve read almost everything, all the how-toís, almost all the mail list archives, almost all the battle reports, so I thought Iíd go ahead and join up and say hey.

Iím not building a tank anywhere right now but in my head since the budget for building in my head is very low.  I do have a question though.  It seems to me that the most expensive part (part I canít scrounge for) will be the TX, RX and servos.  As such Iíve http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ on advice I think Steve Tyng gave in an archive I read.  I found stuff like this: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=170207 and itís cheap.  7 channel which is more then Iíd need, but Iím almost certain itís set up for air frequency (72mhz).  When buying radioís new I know you can request the frequency but on a used one how hard is it to get a shop somewhere to change it or can a semi-intelligent neophyte do the conversion?  Iíve got a degree in electronic technology but havenít messed with any hardcore electronics in a while so Iím a bit rusty.

Is there anything specifically about http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=170207 that might tell me I donít want it?  Can you give guidelines on how to make good choices on radio gear?  Iíve messed with RC on in buggies.  I had a Team Losi RC10 back when I was a teenager.  It ran so great that I never had to repair very much (dog bone here and there from crashes) so I really didnít learn that much.  Thatís about my limit with RC stuff.

Anyways, this is getting long and drawn out now and I donít want to throw too many questions all together.  Iíll save the other questions for other threads.  Hello everyone.  Thanks for all the great information youíve already provided.

Kevin ďspends too much time reading rctankcombat.comĒ Adams

Yahoo! Mail