From: "toast" <toast-at-shadowsofchange.com>
Subject: Can't stop reading. [TANKS]
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:53:23 -0600

I found a link to this site from a paintball forum and I can’t stop reading.  I’ve read almost everything, all the how-to’s, almost all the mail list archives, almost all the battle reports, so I thought I’d go ahead and join up and say hey.

I’m not building a tank anywhere right now but in my head since the budget for building in my head is very low.  I do have a question though.  It seems to me that the most expensive part (part I can’t scrounge for) will be the TX, RX and servos.  As such I’ve http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ on advice I think Steve Tyng gave in an archive I read.  I found stuff like this: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=170207 and it’s cheap.  7 channel which is more then I’d need, but I’m almost certain it’s set up for air frequency (72mhz).  When buying radio’s new I know you can request the frequency but on a used one how hard is it to get a shop somewhere to change it or can a semi-intelligent neophyte do the conversion?  I’ve got a degree in electronic technology but haven’t messed with any hardcore electronics in a while so I’m a bit rusty.

Is there anything specifically about http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=170207 that might tell me I don’t want it?  Can you give guidelines on how to make good choices on radio gear?  I’ve messed with RC on in buggies.  I had a Team Losi RC10 back when I was a teenager.  It ran so great that I never had to repair very much (dog bone here and there from crashes) so I really didn’t learn that much.  That’s about my limit with RC stuff.

Anyways, this is getting long and drawn out now and I don’t want to throw too many questions all together.  I’ll save the other questions for other threads.  Hello everyone.  Thanks for all the great information you’ve already provided.

Kevin “spends too much time reading rctankcombat.com” Adams