From: "Steve Tyng" <SteveT44-at-comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Introduction from another newbie [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 06:23:35 -0500

Adam wrote:

> That is a good point, Steve. Considering I'm starting with only
> 1/4" plywood and trying to save weight, a suspension would
> probably help the durability of the tank considerably.

Again not necessarily.  A suspension adds a whole new level of complexity
with many more parts that can break.  Your 1/4" birch plywood hull should be
more than strong enough for the lightweight tank your envisioning.
Especially if you pay attention to your joints and cover with glass as you
mentioned.  With a non-suspended hull the area of greatest stress are your
axles and where they attach to the hull.  You just can't get away with 1/4"
threaded rod bolted directly to the plywood for example.

Steve Tyng