From: Grant Mahalek <gmahalek-at-shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Hows your tank comming along ? [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:39:09 -0600

Hi Norm,

My Hetzer tank is coming along well.

I took it out for the first test drive on Sunday. What an absolute blast!!!!

My friend Mark came over Saturday and wired in a 4011 NAND Gate into the throttle and steering servo leads from the motor controller.  Voila!  A constant green radio signal light and appropriate proportional speed control.  I'am still having problems with the 75 mhz Hitec Spectra Module for my Eclipse radio, so I just used my #12 72 mhz air frequency module.

I ran the tank around the yard, sidewalks, road, garage and driveway for about three quarters of an hour.  Towards the end of the test run, the controls were getting a little wonkie...it was obvious the spring tensioners on the TTS were not going to work...the front drive wheels were slipping in the track....especially going forward....so I drove around in reverse.  I installed reddirod tensioners and tightened up the track as much as I could....Front drive wheels were still slipping, however, not quite as bad.  I plan on cuttting some holes in the back of the hull to allow another 1/2 inch of tension on the tracks.

Due to my novice driving skills, having to drive in reverse and the wonkie controls toward the end, I was running the tank into the house, fence, garage, etc..(basically anything that was in my way).  Spectators were watching from a safe vantage point well above ground level.... thank goodness!

The post mortem indicated:
1.)much more tension is needed on the TTS, hopefully to stop the front drive wheels slipping on the inside of the track
2.)all nuts and bolts must have Locktite(quite a few nuts & bolts came loose)
3.)gearbox needs adjustment to provide better chain tension
4.)the SSR's get very hot; cooling fins or fans are needed
5.)some of the electrical connections on the motor controller and SSR's came loose(perhaps this is what caused the wonkie control); I'll be using ringed connectors and
    locktite on the screw connections to prevent this

Overall, I consider this project success with only the above refinements needed.   Next, onto the paintball marker installation and final finishing.

Norm, the ground clearance of the Hetzer is about 3 1/8 inches.

Norm, how is your planning coming.....armoured car.....tank......armoured car.....tank....build both!

Grant