From: "Douglas Shannon" <professor03-at-hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Battlefield testing [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:41:19 -0400

>From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
>Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:05:19 -0400
>
>Douglas Shannon wrote:
>>Is port rifling permitted?
>>Or has it been found to work against the concept?
>
>I have no idea what that means.  Please elaborate.

Gladly...

Most of the major paintball markers have a gagle of after market barrels
with various selling points.
But most of them have a pattern of exhaust ports near the business end that
help stablize the ball in flight to gain a longer flatter trajectory.

Some manufacturers make straight lines of porting and some make spirals of
porting...

All usually at just the last 2 or 3 inches of the barrel.

There are also some manufactorers that offer actual physical rifling inside
the barrel.

>>I'm thinking that a Tippmann Model 98 with an E-bolt and a Flat-Line
>>barrel could place some seriously accurate hits at extreme ranges...

A Tippmann Flat-Line barrel is shaped like a parabolic curve and is believed
to impart a straighter flatter trajectory by instilling back spin on the
ball; this areguably gives a slightly longer range with higher accuracy.

>Accuracy and reliable chambering is the key to this hobby.  If everytime
>you pull the trigger a paintball actually flies and hits the target, then
>you're doing well.

Most of the paintball markers on the market are pretty consistent.
It's getting to the point that the only real sticking point is matching ball
manufacturer and quality to barrel manufacturer.

>>I'm just sort of feeling out where my paintball know-how falls into this
>>realm, so please bear with me.
>Most likely higher than anyone who has actually battled so far,

Paintball has an unbelievable pool of marker resources that I am surprised
to not have seen already.
We have completely electronically controlled markers now that can be
programmed for just about anything short of making the morning coffee!

>but we'll still kick your !-at-!%&% on the battlefield :-)

Undoubtedly!!

>As with real paintball battles, when combat-induced adrenaline kicks in,
>it's the human weapon system that is the key component.

No doubt!
If you lose your head, you're walking off the feild!

I'm really looking forward to getting into this game!

Doug