From: JOHN PITTELLI <jplily-at-yahoo.com>
Subject: Battlefield testing [TANKS]
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday saw the debut of 3 new vehicles,my Comet
being one of them. Since last fall the Comet has
slowly come into being ,built in a modular fashion.
Each section was finally assembled on the Thursday
evening before the battle ,thanks to my head wiring
wizard, Frank. The Comet was supposed to be used as a
test mule for various systems, but it never had a
test. It first roared to life on the battlefield.
Considering that fact it had only a few mminor
problems. The jury rigged battery connectors snapped
prior to battle #1, that with the tank not turning
smoothly under 24 volt power led to fighting the first
battle at 12 volts. At a 13-1 gear reduction that made
the Comet as fast(slow) as my Panzer IV. Being
comfortable at that speed the Comet performed
admirably. Lost the ability to fire the gun due to
forgetting to put loc-tite on the servo horn screw.
The Comet still seemed to be draining the battery like
my Panzer though, hardly any power left at the end.
The new turret motor, same as the Navarone gun,
performed flawlessly and allowed for very accurate
aiming. The 2 four inch fans installed directly above
the EV's kept them so cool that they were barely warm
to the touch.

Lunch saw the Comet being switched back to 24 volts,
seemed I must not have tightened the TTS system
properly in the beginning as now she turned fine.
Steve was not joking about running behind the
Cromwell. I found the Comet pulling away from me so
fast that I had to jog behind as we took up our
flanking positions to assault the town during the
first round of Battle #2. Still not as fast as Steve's
Hypder drive Cromwell, my speed alowed me to close
ground on all the other vehicles when needed. I still
spent most of my fighting at distance, I love the
thrill of pounding out hits long range, especially on
the trucks when they think they're safe on the other
side of the field. Still had severe drainage on the
tank batteries and even my trasmitter batteries.

Fun times-  turning inside Steve's circle attack
            solo kill on the Jagdtiger from halffield
            holding the town for an hour

Lessons learned- I must not be charging my mains
properly, will rectify with a smart charger.  Nicads
in the transmitters only last so long. Will switch to
alkaline  AA cells and just replace them, much cheaper
in the long  run.

Overall I am very pleased with the performance of the
Comet, it did everything that I wanted out of the new
systems. The Comet was chosen for it's straight line
design, large turret, (oh, did I mention that it holds
a 12oz bottle of CO2 no more running out during a
firefight ) and roomy chassis.

Here's a few pics of the Comet,Cromwell and the
Jagdtiger.

So build one and come to the center of the tank combat
universe.

John Pittelli