From: "Steve Tyng" <SteveT44-at-comcast.net>
Subject: With great power comes great responsibility [TANKS]
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:18:07 -0400

Title:
"With great power comes great responsibility"

My favorite quote from Spiderman kind of sums up my feelings after the first foray of the Tyng Cromwell.  As Frank stated in the battle summery, my latest effort "has pushed the technology envelope of the hobby. With his new Cogged-TTS (CTTS), Christie suspension and 24v EV-Warrior, proportional drive system".  The goal of this project was to build a tank running EV Warrior motors at 24 volts.  I knew this was going to be a fast tank and decided that a suspension and a sprocket track drive would be required to handle the 3HP that the motors would be producing.  Probably the most important aspect of the design was the use of a proportional motor controller that allowed me to control the monstrous amounts of torque the EV's would be putting out.  Back to the quote, "With great power comes great responsibility".  The Tyng Cromwell in my opinion has left the toy realm and constitutes a very serious piece of equipment with the ability to do serious damage to whomever or whatever gets in it's way.  A hundred pound model pushing 10mph requires constant attention and respect.  On a couple of occasions (before I got the hang of driving the model) I ran into other vehicles but thankfully not at full speed and causing no damage.  The Tyng Cromwell and other tanks that I'm sure will meet it's specs before long (but hopefully not to soon ;-) are powerful models that require responsibility in their operation.

But enough of this, so what was it like to drive the fastest and badest ass tank in the hobby?  In one word, a BLAST!  I was able to come and go as I please and pick and choose my engagements at will.  If I spotted a lone enemy I would just speed over there and take them out.  If a group of the enemy were dug in and defensive.  My speed advantage would allow me to scream into the middle of them and flush them out, often times not taking a single hit.  My speed would allow me to fly past artillery pieces handily out distancing their traverse speeds.  Speed is good, but there is a distinct disadvantage to a fast tank.  The Cromwell might have been up to the challenge of battle but it's driver was most certainly not!  Running after this thing (and I do mean running) on a hot and muggy day in the afternoon sun can really take it out of you.  About halfway through the first battle I had to stop and go back to the depot area and down a bottle of water.  For the second battle I was better prepared and took water out to the home base.  Another disadvantage is to shoot effectively one needs to be behind their turret to aim your shots.  On many occasions I was not able to land a shot even though the tank was in an ideal position to do so because my tank was on the opposite side of the enemy tank from were I was.  With a tank of this speed and maneuverability, I was easily able to outflank and circle most enemy tanks to get ideal firing positions.  Unfortunately I'm not as fast and maneuverable as my creation and it is very difficult to aim a shot in such situations.

The Monkton Crusade was a test.  Before the first battle I had a total of 10 minutes run time on the chassis and hadn't fired a single paintball through the turret.  My goal at Monkton was to push the Cromwell to see what would break.  I gave little thought to teamwork or tactics and just pushed hard in the single aggressor role.  The numbers prove this out because the other side would always win whatever scenario we were playing because team tactics will always win out over the lone wolf.  I wasn't to concerned with defense and was mostly offensive for most of the day and I'm proud to say nothing broke on the Cromwell.  The vehicle performed beyond my wildest expectations.  The suspension worked beautifully - allowing a smooth high speed cruise.  The sprocket drive TTS didn't shred or break a single piece.  The expensive motor controller didn't die in a cloud of smoke.  I didn't eat though all my batteries in the first 20 minutes.  About the only issue I had with the Cromwell was it's one second turret rotate (probably more like 1.5 seconds ;-).  Even with proportional speed control on the rotate it was difficult to accurately aim for long range shots.  The turret was just to fast and I'll be keeping an eye out for a slower speed rotate motor.

Some battle highlights that stick out in my mind,

Steve Tyng