From: "Marc en Wendy" <marcmethorst-at-zonnet.nl>
Subject: Re: RE:Little Willie [TANKS]
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:15:08 +0200

John wrote:

> I've never heard of Little Willie being fitted with armaments, just
> proposed to be fitted with them. I'm not even sure where the gun would
> have gone, although a top mounted turret is what I've read.

Last July I went to the Bovington Tank museum and saw Little Willie. As far
as I remember from the sign it was a caterpillar prototype vehicle. The
inside is completely removed, only the backbone chassis and drivetrain are
still present. The text below is taken from the Tank Museum website
(http://www.tankmuseum.org/colevolution.html)

      Little Willie
      When William Tritton and Walter Wilson started work on Landship design
in the summer of 1915, they built this vehicle and fitted it with imported
American tracks. These proved unsuitable so new tracks were devised which
were successful. Little Willie is displayed, in a workshop setting, just as
it would have looked at this time.

Marc ''it's not the size that matters'' M.
Holland

JPEG image