From: Grant Mahalek <gmahalek-at-shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: First bench test of MK2 TTS [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:52:39 -0600

Hey Paul,

I'am going to be using 1/2" hardened steel shaft for my drive and idler
axles....what are you using?.....a while back Steve Tyng recommended 5/8" if
memory serves.....

I found solid rubber wheels at the local Princess Auto store in Calgary, AB.
I'am hoping these will work well....4 3/8" dia., 3 1/4" wide, with 3/16"
grooves running the full width of the wheel, Delrin bearing, which I popped
out and replaced with two flanged bearings for the idler wheels. I inserted
two olite bushings into the Delrin for the drive wheels(to drop dia. to
1/2").

There are a few things about these rubber wheels that I think makes them
unique. Namely, the evenly spaced 3/16" grooves(perpendicular to the track
rotation) that run around the circumference of the wheel, the texture of the
wheel and the ease of machining/sawing/cutting the wheel.  I cut a 5/8" wide
by 5/8" deep groove down the middle of the wheels to capture the centering
key of each inside track on the TTS using my table-saw....what a hooot that
was. Considering these factors this should be a "kick ass" drive
system.....I hope LOL.....  The 3/16" perendicular grooves on the surface of
the drive wheels should act loosely  to "key" the wooden inner tracks in
place and thus limit track slippage to a large degree.

The texture of the drive wheels, the 3/16" grooves, ease of machining, low
cost($8CAN ea.) and availability seem ideal.  Time will tell....things
usually don't go this smoothly!

For those interested..... me thinks these wheels are used as rollers for
boat trailers.