From: "Marc en Wendy" <marcmethorst-at-zonnet.nl>
Subject: Re: First bench test of MK2 TTS [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:58:03 +0200

Chris wrote:

> Your tank looks great. Nice and easy to spot with those blue tracks;-) Drive your tank like I do for a day and those tracks won't be so blue anymore. hehehe

Thanks ... actually the blue tracks will be exchanged for grey ones. Since I recently found a job (starting September 1st) I might have some cash available soon for the right tracks. These Unichain tracks are amazing, only the color is a bit disturbing ...
After having driven it for a while it gets better, but they're still blue. As a stop gap solution I'll spray paint them black and finish it off with varnish but one skid turn will peal away most paint. But it will look a bit better.

Today we went to the forest for a photo and video shoot but after driving about 15 minutes the battery went dead (note to self: charge overnight before test driving it) so only a bit of video footage was shot. Will make some more video footage after I charged the batteries!

The gear ratio mod from 1:7,5 to 1:9 is very welcome as it skid turns better now. Speed is good, about 5 - 6 km/h cross country. Although much slower then the new generation tanks I'm sure sturmartillerie tactics and ambushes will lead to victory.

The only major flaw in the design is the unability to change the main battery quickly. The ''change oil'' solution (changing battery from the bottom) that was given earlier is the best option for now but I don't like the idea of having to cut up the hull floor as it won't be watertight anymore. Not that it should float but crossing puddles should be possible.

Also I've been thinking of upgrading the road wheel frame to a suspension system. Since the frame is easily taken off the vehicle this should not take major modifications.

Slightly off topic: I bought a 1:16 T-34/85 that is really well detailed, it has seperate track links instead of rubber band for example. Also the paint work and accessories are very nice. The only reference to this tank I could find is at http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/trumpeter_16.htm (but I didn't buy it from them, a local Dutch guy is much cheaper with 75 euro's, about 85 USD I think?).

Next saturday I'll be attending a Country Fair for which I was invited to show my big tank (T028), I made some flyers that also include the RCtank-site so I'll spread the word some more. More tanks, more targets, more fun!

Marc