From: "Steve Tyng" <STyng-at-ACPTrust.com>
Subject: RE: Most important first decision.... [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:26:29 -0400

Most important is to build what you know you can complete.  There's a bunch of unfinished tanks on the list that may never know the thrill of a paintball impact!

As to the process of building a tank.  I personally design the tank in my head and then on the computer before I make the first cut.  This way I can see if everything is going to fit and check for interference between moving parts, etc...  Design your drive train and turret mechanics first and design the rest of the vehicle around that.  Without these two aspects of your vehicle working correctly, you might as well forget it.  Don't be afraid to tweak the scale here and there to get the mechanics to work.

BTW, welcome to the hobby.

Steve Tyng

Subject: Most important first decision.... [TANKS]

OK, so where do i start?... no literally..!...

In peoples opinions,. what is the deciding factor for choosing where to start?. I mean, besides what type of tank and what scale, what do people use as the basis for building their tank, most people wouldnt start with what they can fit into the turret.. so do i go by what i can rustle up as far as tracks go?, or what motors i'm going to use? etc....

Ben "the beginner" Kropp