From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: questions [TANKS]
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:33:52 -0400

dale owings wrote:

 > Hi My name is dale and I have a few questions. First I want to build
 > a rc paintball tank but I'm not sure of the rules what does 1/6 scale
 > mean? I love tanks and paintball so this is the perfect thing for me.
 > the tank that i have desind is 16 in long 9 in wide and 5 1/2 in
 > high. It will look like a german tank hunter. Is this to small? Will
 > I be be able to play? The ones on tv did not look 3 feet long. One
 > more thing and I will leave you alone, how much did most of you spend
 > to get on up and running right? I want to now be cause I'm 16 and
 > don't have alot of money. thanks for all your help and time!!!

Hi Dale,

A lot of people who saw the Inside R/C show have been asking the same
questions, so I've forwarded this response to the mailing list so
everyone can read my answers.

First of all, 1/6 scale means simply that you take the measurements of
the actual vehicle and multiply by 1/6 to determine the size of the
model.  That means that most vehicles will be between 2.5 and 5 feet
long in 1/6 scale.  However, the rules allow you to use any scale you
want as long as the model is at least 3 feet long.  This allows people
to build the large tanks which would otherwise be too big in 1/6 scale.
  All of the tanks on the TV show were either 3 feet long or built to
1/6 scale.  In all cases, they were no shorter than 2.5 feet long.

The small scale tank you mentioned above is probably 1/16 scale and is
too small for our hobby.  In fact, it probably wouldn't be able to
navigate around the rough terrain that we battle on.

As far as the cost of building a fully operational tank, you're looking
at about $1,000 worth of stuff by the time everything is done.  You can
reduce that cost somewhat by scrounging well, but motors, batteries,
radios, markers, etc start to add up.

However, there are ways to get started in the hobby without too much
money, namely support vehicles and artillery pieces.  The M520 Goer was
built using scrap wood, scrap metal, surplus wheels, inexpensive kiddie
car motors and a second-hand 2-channel radio.  Yet, it is one of the
most durable and valuable resources on the battlefield ... it just keeps
going and going.  Without it, supplies would not move anywhere on the
battlefield.  Artillery pieces are similarly easy and inexpensive to
build.  In fact, you don't even need a radio for them, using simple
switches, actuators and motors for fire, rotate and elevate control.
Most of the artillery pieces used so far were built in only a few
weekends (except for Navarone One which was built to a higher standard).

Although support vehicles and artillery don't sound as glamorous as
tanks, I can assure you that they are just as fun and just as important
on the battlefield.  In fact, we find that even veteran tank drivers
like using them when they've loaned their tanks to someone else.

So, even if you have a limited budget, you can get involved and have fun
in the battles.

        Frank P.