From: "erik kump" <ebkump-at-hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Replacement for EV warrior [TANKS]
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 07:52:37 -0500

I came to the RCtank hobby after I gave up on ever being able to afford (and
destroy) a Battlebot. I used to spend a lot of time on their forums, and
according to the data they have on them there, the EV Warrior motors were
made by Bosch. They were a custom order by a company making the EV Warrior
electric bicycle. They seem to have been based off a line of motors that
typically are used as automotive fan motors, but the consensus was that the
EV was made more powerful than the other motors of that line. They could be
had so cheaply because the company that purchased them went bankrupt and the
motors were sold as surplus. They were far from the best motor on the
market, but their ability to withstand 24v put them into the power range of
motors that cost upwards of $70. There are certainly better motors out
there, but for the price, they were hard to beat. The value of them was
quickly discovered by the Battlebots community, and once word got out the
available stock of them disappeared. I was disappointed because I wanted to
get some for the Battlebot I was planning to build. Well, a couple of months
later, I was crusing surpluscenter.com and found a stash of over 200 pairs
of motors that looked suspiciously like the EV Warrior for less than $20
each and with the mounting brackets, wires, and even the box and tire
engagement bushing. I ordered myself a few and reported my find to the
Battlebots forum. They confirmed that what I had found was, indeed, the
(presumed) extinct EV Warrior. A week later, they were all gone. I assume
that the bulk of them was purchased by Robotcombat.com, as they had been
sold out and suddenly had a large stock of them on hand.
Anyway, I think I'm rambling. There may yet be a stockpile of them hidden in
the backroom of a surplus warehouse. After all, this will be, if memory
serves, the fourth time that they have dried up.
Someone asked about technical data for them. If you go to
http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_ev.html
They have some specs. If you go to
http://tentacle.architeuthis-dux.com/
under Tools they have an amp-hour calculator that has some technical data on
a whole mess of different motors.
Erik "Motor Mouth" Kump