From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: High-Low gears [TANKS]
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:34:20 -0500

erik kump wrote:

>> 2) use a fixed voltage and transmission, and vary the motor windings,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Some motors, like the EV-X and Saturn windshield wiper motors, actually
have multiple input wires connected to different windings in the motor.
  If you connect to one set it goes one speed, connect to the other and
it goes a different speed.  That allows you to use the same battery and
transmission, but run at two different speeds, without any PWM.

> Do you think my speed ranges would be a good
> starting point to aim for? 2-3mph for low gear, 4-6 for mid, and 8-10
> for high? Thanks for the input,

Mid of 4-6 sounds good (which is the average speed of all tanks
currently on the battlefield), as does a high of 8-10.

Forget about the 2-3 mph setting ... you'll never use it.

        Frank P.