From: "erik kump" <ebkump-at-hotmail.com>
Subject: High-Low gears [TANKS]
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:03:18 -0500

I'd like to pick the brains of those who already have operational tanks or
have driven one in a battle. I was bored at work yesterday and was
brainstorming ideas for a drive train. I kept coming back around to the
notion of having a two or three speed transmission. My thoughts on the
matter were that having the ability to alter the tank's power vs speed could
be a real asset on the battlefield, allowing it to adapt itself to various
terrains. Three speeds would be ideal I think, as having a low 'offroad'
gear in the 2-3 mph range would give more power for climbing steep slopes
and obstacles. The middle gear would be the 'cruising' gear, giving around
4-6 mph and enough power to navigate tall grass and minor bumpy stuff like
gravel and tire ruts. High gear would be the 'pursuit' gear, giving perhaps
8-10 mph but only be really suitable for flat grass or paved areas. A
two-gear system would be a bit easier to build, but as long as I'm talking
about it, I like the wider flexibility of the three-gear system.
Do you think it would be worth it? Have you ever been in a battle and wished
you could gear down to move through some really rough terrain that nobody
else could navigate? Have you ever wished you could kick it up a notch to
chase down a foe?
I try to follow the KISS rule, and every additional system in a vehicle such
as this is another opportunity for failure, but I keep coming back to it.
Can the guys who have 'been there' give me a thumbs up or down as to whether
or not they feel that this could be an asset? Or even work?
Erik 'quick change' Kump