From: "SteveT44" <SteveT44-at-comcast.net>
Subject: RE: finishing touches [TANKS]
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 07:20:43 -0500

Frank wrote:

> I've never used Titebond for that purpose before, but Steve "Dr. Wood"
> Tyng swears by it and he knows his stuff when it comes to wood.

Titebond II glue passes type 2 immersion tests.  T005 is liberally coated
with the stuff and has kept water and paintball goo out of the wood.  When
I'm assembling a tank I'll add extra glue and spread it around surfaces I
want water sealed.  This saves a step in applying a seal coat later.
Plastic auto body filler spreaders work great in spreading the glue around.

Many smallcraft builders use Titebond II to hold their boats together and
save the epoxy for a final outer hull sealing.  I built a couple of kayaks
that way and their still stuck together.

There's a Titebond III out now which passes the class 1 immersion tests.
This is the Navy boil test.  This technically makes the Titebond III a
marine grade adhesive but it is not marketed as such.  Probably due to
liability concerns.

Steve Tyng