From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: bearings [TANKS]
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:05:13 -0500

adt22-at-drexel.edu wrote:
> Whats a good price for bearings? I've committed to 5/8" for the most
> part and I saw some flanged bearings at surplus center for $5
>
> Does anyone use bushings? $.69 5/8 inch

I use bearings for the transmission, drive axle and idler axle, but use
bushings for all of the roadwheels to save money and weight.  The
flanged bearings that you referenced from Surplus Center are good for
the drive axle, because they help adjust for any minor alignment
problems.  But, for the transmission and idler wheels, I think it's
easier to mount wheelbarrow bearings, which are cheaper as well.  Also,
keep your eyes open on Ebay.  Steve Tyng got 12 sealed bearings for a
little over $1 each, which is a great price for sealed bearings (which
are better than wheelbarrow bearings).

Also, the bushings I use simply insert into a larger hole, rather than
having a flange like the one you referenced from Surplus Center.

        Frank P.