From: Steve Edwards <sedwards-at-awger.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone considered Tin?
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:27:34 -0500

William and Melissa Johns wrote:

>   The armor piercing rounds the Germans used were the k-type (tungsten
> carbide core), 7.92mm fired from regular rifles and machine guns
> before 1917.  The Mk IV had increased armor to deal with this round,
> so the Germans switched to a 13mm round fired from a special Mauser
> antitank rifle.  By the time the tank battle at Villers-Brettoneaux
> (sure, YOU spell it!) took place, the 13mm round would have been in
> use.  I don't know if they ever made machine guns that could fire this
> round, so perhaps it wasn't the A7V that delivered the "broadside",
> but the infantry lurking nearby.

The 7.92x57 (Gewehr Patrone 98, aka"8mm Mauser") was the standard
infantry round for both rifle (G98) and machine gun (Maxim) in WWI; it
is equivalent to the US .30-06. It was still around in WWII when the
Germans shortened their G98s (calling them Karabiner 98s) and traded in
their Maxims for MG34s and MG42s.

The T-Gewehr M1918 was a bolt-action 13mm anti-tank rifle that weighed
over 35 lbs and was about 5.5 feet long (IIRC I've seen one up at
Aberdeen). The Germans did have a machine gun that fired the same round
(an overgrown Maxim called the MG TuF) but they only made about 25 of
them and they're not supposed to have seen action. Maybe they did?

    - Steve "try spelling antidisestablishmentarianism" Edwards