From: "John Barager" <gogetta20-at-hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone considered Tin?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:24:49 -0400

13:1 is a reserved estimate, as only one A7V was lost to fire solely from an
allied tank (Actually, it was 5 british Mk.IV Males that took the single A7V
down, they ganged it). And two others lost by combination Allied tanks and
Artillery/infantry. As opposed to the known 50 or so Allied tanks lost to
the A7V over it's 6-engagement lifetime (First day a tank-tank battle
happened, 3 Mk.IV's and 4 Med.A's were destroyed by just 2 A7V's).  And the
thing about the machine guns, no they did not fire armour piercing rounds,
the main gun (57mm) fired high explosive and armour piercing rounds, and
that is how it made the holes (I'm aware of the battle you're refering too
also). The thing you must remember is, the A7V had double the armour
thickness of allied tanks at the time, and although they did fall over un
uneven terrain, or break down frequently, they still were able to hold their
own against allied tanks. If there had been more then 20 built (Blame German
war ministry for they, they didn't believe in the tank.. of course they
changed their mines for the second war), and had they been fielded earlier
with better trained men, they would have had a huge impact on the war.