From: Frank Pittelli <frank-at-rctankcombat.com>
Subject: Re: Calling all experts
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:30:12 -0500

Joe Sommer wrote:

> These are also available from Surplus Center
> www.surpluscenter.com  item #5-1440
> for $18.95 US.
>
> I have one.  They are very strong and very heavy
> (8 pounds) but a little slow (4.5 rpm = 13.3 sec
> per revolution).  The dread T-34 can rotate
> one revolution in about 5 sec.

Yes, they are a little slow at 12 volts, but they sweep faster at 24
volts (roughly twice as fast). Given that the motors don't pull much
current (about 1/4 amp at 12v) and look pretty durable, I don't think it
will hurt to drive them at the higher voltage.

I am using one of them for the Navarone Gun and if it works there, I may
be installing one in the Tiger as well (the 3rd rotate system) because
they are extremely well made.  The drive cog is at least 1/2" thick and
finely meshed, so it moves precisely and can take a pretty good load.

The extra weight is a disadvantage, as is the large size, but it's
definitely got some potential as a rotate motor.

        Frank P.