From: "Steve Tyng" <stevet-at-stcharlesmd.com>
Subject: RE: Radio
Date: 24 Nov 2004 14:03:00 -0500

Morgan wrote:

> Any recomendations on a brand of six channel radio for my
> Jagdpanther (Christmas wish list time ;-))?

I don't know about any new radios but I liked the old Futaba 5UAP system I had on
the T34.  I was able to switch the ratchet and springs between the left and right
sticks (this is called switching "modes" in the hobby world).  It uses commonly
available Futaba transmit modules so it could be configured for air, ground, or ham
frequencies.  It could also be switched between PCM (digital or "computer" radio in
the hobby world) and PPM (analog) control modulation.  The PCM gives you much better
control IMHO.

For it's time, the 5UAP system was an entry level "computer" radio.  Mine was old
and free so I didn't have any qualms about opening it up to switch the mode or
install a custom trigger button.  It came on channel 12 (air) but I found a new TX
module and PCM RX on a ground frequency for not to much money.  There's a few 5UAP's
on eBay right now.  Not sure if they made a six channel model, maybe a seven or
eight (7/8UAP)?

Oh yea, my radio ran off of 7 AA batteries.  I never had an issue with my TX because
of the rechargeable battery running down (unlike many on the field).  I just carried
extra coppertops just in case.

Steve Tyng