From: Steve Edwards <sedwards-at-awger.net>
Subject: Re: elevation
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:06:31 -0500

adt22-at-drexel.edu wrote:

>right, so maximum (semi)accurate distance is a good number and elevate is important
>but I still don't think overall maximum distance is relevant unless you are worried
>about safety.  You aren't going to want to get a 45 degree angle so that you can
>lob paint the farthest.

I always understood the 10 deg elevation limit to be a safety concern...
one that Marty doesn't share, evidently.  :-P

(Marty shot me in the shoulder with an artillery piece from 25-30 feet
away while I was taping the Bon Voyage... no harm done, but it sure did
get my attention!)

>I was playing paintball saturday and I had newbies trying to lob paint at me from
>way out of range.  Paint is less likely to break in that situation (at least on a
>person).   Some people even go as far as wearing ghillie (spelling?) suits
>partially for camo, and partially for reducing breaks on the body.
>Which I think is a cheap cheat.

I never wore a ghillie to reduce breaks, but to scare the snot outa
people that didn't know I was there.

>So I had an idea - someone showed a picture of a tank or something that had cages
>around it so that incoming fire would detonate before hitting the vehicle.

Serves the same purpose as "shurzen" (extra side plates the Germans
mounted on a lot of their tanks) -- it sets off shaped-charge warheads
before they contact the main armor plate. Early shurzen were solid
plates, later on they used screen mesh.

Our Strykers over in Iraq are getting a modern-day version that looks
like a cheese grater.

>Frank, a netting around the tank to "catch" paintballs - legal or illegal?

Hits against the gas drums on the side of the T-34 count.... so I'd say
it's legal, but they'll count the hits.  :-)

>I'm full of stupid idea and I don't even have a complete tank. :)

I'm full of stupid ideas and I haven't even started one.  :-)

>I guess you can argue that the grates wouldn't do anything against other tanks and
>it was only designed for RPGs?

Hmm... might have some effect against HEAT rounds also.

    - Steve