From: Steve Edwards <sedwards-at-awger.net>
Subject: Re: New Member - Michigan
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:05:57 -0400

Tim McCarty wrote:

> You bet!  <Insert Tim the Toolman Taylor laugh, Argh>  So what's the
> lessons learned on adding simulated incremental damage such as popping
> the turret, disabled propulsion, smoke, etc?  To complex I'll guess?
> Always good to learn the easy way from those who have been there done
> that.

Hey, just like Rock-Em-Sock-Em Robots!  I think that T-34 (especially)
could use a little pyro charge that'd send the turret flying after a
good hit.

Disabling drive motors would be relatively straightforward, although
maybe a little spendy -- all you'd need is some pressure transducers
mounted underneath the outer layer of armor hooked to a relay that would
kill the driver for that side. Ditto for smoke -- pressure transducer
mounted in the rear hooked to whatever your smoke-maker was.

> Got'cha - logical reasoning.  Makes sense to establish equal playing
> grounds between different era's of models as is done with the armor &
> cannon rules.  Makes the Commander's skill's more a factor in battle.
> Guess I was more concerned about top speed and the potential to
> escalate.  1/6 scale speeds over the last century appear to run from
> about 3 to 8 mph.  8mph is pretty quick so I see it's not really an
> issue and could always be addressed it if it ever became an issue.

I was thinking about this when I read that the Hetzer had just switched
from 12V to 24V.  Not saying that the Hetzer is "too fast," just that
there's usually another motor that will put out more power and another
battery that will run it (and if there isn't, there will be in another
6-12 months).  I bumped into a monster that you can run 12-72V and puts
out up to 14hp -at- 4000rpm; it's a little large to fit into a 1/6 scale
tank, but eventually the capabilities of the motors and batteries will
be such that an old WWI creeper could move just as fast as an M1.

> Along that same train of thought, I assume different colored
> paintballs were considered to simulate the different tank main gun
> scale rounds, rather than ammo limitations.  What was the logic in
> selecting the ammo limit instead of equally the playing ground between
> light and heavy armaments?
> Got to have some scale in there I'll gather.

GMTA  :-)

In "human paintball" the grenades used a particular color of paint
(pink, IIRC). Because grenades are area weapons (no direct impact --
just splatter) any pink paint on your person was considered a hit. And,
of course, people weren't supposed to use pink-fill paintballs in their
markers.

It's an interesting concept (ex: heavy rounds (88+) could be green,
medium (70-87) could be white, light (-70) blue) but I could see how
multiple overlapping hits of different colors could be a little
difficult to score, especially if a vehicle were being engaged by
multiple attackers simultaneously.

> That's a great lesson learned so thanks much for the info as it
> simplifies the modeling.  I did like Rusty's possible pseudo-slip ring
> using a cheap rotating phone connector.  I was thinking much more
> expensive along the lines of a liquid connector such as sold by Mercotac:
> http://www.mercotac.com

Cheapest ones I could find were $120 each; I figure I could make one
cheaper than that out of PVC tube and sheet copper/brass.

    - Steve